Student Financial Aid

How To Apply for Financial Aid

Financial Aid Checklist

During the Application Process

Supply your Social Security number on your application for admission. This is needed if you plan to file a FAFSA and want Ohio State to receive it. If you have already applied for admission and have not reported your SSN on your application, please contact the Office of Admissions if you would like to report it now.

Submit the completed FAFSA or renewal FAFSA by your priority deadline: February 15 for incoming freshmen, continuing students, and transfers. for this process. Make sure your Social Security number is correct on all forms.

Submit the Application for Special Scholarships by your application deadline.

Check with your college office for information and applications (if needed) for departmental scholarships. If you are attending a regional campus or the Agricultural Technical Institute (ATI), contact the financial aid administrator there about special-eligibility scholarships.

Respond by the deadline date to any request for verification of the information reported on your FAFSA.

Check your financial aid status in your Student Center, accessible via Buckeye Link, regularly to ensure you have no outstanding To Do items. Your financial aid award will be displayed online when it is available.

Once you are awarded

Accept any Office of Diversity and Inclusion scholarships, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Work-Study, or Federal Perkins Loan you have been awarded in your Student Service Center, accessible via Buckeye Link.

Complete any promissory notes or entrance counseling requirements for any Federal Direct Loans or Federal Perkins Loans you have been awarded.

Print and submit a completed PLUS Loan Application every year your parent wishes to be considered for this loan. Make sure your parent borrower completes the online Master Promissory Note (MPN) as needed. If you are a graduate student, you may wish to apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan if you need to borrow additional funds.

Keep your address current with the Office of the Registrar online via your Student Center, accessible via Buckeye Link. Be sure that your Buckeye Mail account is active and that all messages get properly forwarded to you.

Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) for accuracy. Make changes as needed. If you change income, asset, or household size information, you need to submit necessary documentation to our office for verification. Contact the Student Service Center if you have questions.

Complete and mail the Report Your Changes form or notify SFA by e-mail at if you receive any scholarships, loans, or tuition reimbursement not listed on your Award Notification from donors outside the university.


First File the FAFSA