Student Financial Aid

How to Keep Your Financial Aid Award

Updating Your Student Information

The aid awarded to you was based on your financial circumstances, enrollment plans, and SAP status as originally reported. If you receive additional aid or if your circumstances change, SFA may be required to make award adjustments. Because of this, you are required to do the following:

Report to

SFA in writing
  • any additional financial aid (scholarships, grants, and loans; graduate or undergraduate assistantships or fellowships; and any other educational or tuition assistance); use the Report Your Changes form or e-mail us at from your Buckeye Mail account
  • receipt or loss of a Graduate Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistantship or Assistantship; a Fellowship, Traineeship, Resident Advisor, or Resident Office Manager position; or a Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR), Ohio National Guard (ONG), or military scholarship/assistance
  • change in Social Security number (see "Registrar in Writing" below)
  • change in Social Security number, name, or date of birth as listed on the FAFSA; submit to SFA the Social Security Number Confirmation Form along with a copy of your Social Security card and driver’s license. In addition, see "Registrar in writing" below.
  • if you wish to cancel any loans that you have already accepted for the current academic year, please review the Loan Cancellation Policy for federal loans. Use the Report Your Changes form or e-mail us at from your Buckeye Mail account.
  • if you are in default or owe a refund on a federal grant or loan at any institution
SFA by phone or in writing
  • change from living with parent or relative to living in a university residence hall or off campus or the reverse
  • withdrawal from the university prior to the first day of the term


Registrar by web
  • to change your address(es): go to the Personal Information section of your Student Center, accessible via Buckeye Link
Registrar in writing
  • to request a change of residency (from non-Ohio to Ohio resident): ; read the related information on the web prior to completing an application; the application must be submitted in writing with supporting documentation
  • to change or correct your legal name, Social Security number, date of birth, or residency (see web first): contact the SSC.


College of enrollment by phone
  • to withdraw from the university or cease to attend one or more classes during any term for which aid is provided
    NOTE: Never drop all classes online; always consult your academic advisor to complete an official withdrawal
  • to change campus
  • to change college during the academic year; NOTE: a change to a non-degree-granting program will render you ineligible for most forms of federal student aid, while a change to a degree-granting program may make you eligible


If you don't report these changes to the university in a timely fashion, you may not receive your aid, you may not receive your aid when you need it, you might owe some or all of your aid back to the university, or your aid may be reduced at short notice to you.

It is better to make the university aware of any such changes at the earliest possible date, so you can plan for your resources and expenditures realistically.

Please note: To protect your privacy and security, we correspond with all students via their Buckeye Mail accounts and we expect you to use your Buckeye Mail account when e-mailing our office.


First File the FAFSA